Changes to the Rules
These are my changes to the Rules:
- All Characters that may take "special" Followers during the game only once, may do it again if they lose the "special" Follower they have.
- "Special" Followers may not pass to another Character; so they are excluded from Departure Card.
- Neutral Characters may be healed in Tavern as in Chapel. If so, they couldn't encounter the Tavern.
- Squares where isn't indicated to draw one card (es. Forest, Crags, Temple, Inner Region, etc.) could be encountered (or must, if they are obligatory) after you have encountered Enemies, Characters or else in the space.
- All multi-turns combat are resolved in a single turn.
- Special Abilities that allows any Character to heal free somewhere are restricted to 1 Life at a time.
- In the Village there is a Trader, you may give him 1 (Magic) Object for 1 Gold. Whoever visit Village Trader may reclaim that Object by paying 1 Gold or by swapping it with another one.
- A Character can carry up to 4 Objects, but using Mule, Horse and Cart, Bag of Carrying or else, you may carry only up to 8 Objects (and not infinite).
- Spell regeneration takes place at the beginning of the turn following last Spell casting.
- Every 2 killed Spirits you gain 1 Spell.
- Every reference to Runesword and Holy Lance is applied to any magic weapon, every reference to Hag, Poltergeist ecc. is applied to any negative Follower.
- Helm, Shield and Armor are cumulative.
- Enemies drawn attacks, those on the table are attacked.
- If a Character reach Strength of 7 (including all, even Spells), in his Combats (against common Enemies) the following corrective factor is applied: if the Strength difference with the adversary stay in the interval from +1 to +5, that difference must be divided by 2 and rounded down; if it is of +6 or more, it becomes +3.
- Every reference to bonus/malus on die roll (of combat) is applied to Strength and Craft instead.
- AMAZON: you cannot use movement modifiers, except by Magic.
- CENTAUR: you may always carry 8 Objects; you cannot use your bow against other Characters; you may add only 1 to your die roll for the movement.
- CONJURER: You cannot use your power with Finger of Death.
- GLADIATOR: you cannot train neither Followers who adds something to your Craft.
- GYPSY: Spells picked up from discarding pile cannot be cast until next Player turn.
- MONK: you may add your Craft to your Strenght only if you are attacked.
- NINJA: you cannot have neither Horse, Warhorse or Elephant.
- PROPHETESS: you cannot regenerate Spells; you cannot look to other Chararacters' Spells.
- SAMURAI: you may keep for experience enemies killed with your bow.
- SHAPESHIFTER: you retain your experience abilities when changing Character.
- SOLDIER: when you are in the City, if you convert Sword and Helm into Gold, you cannot take them back at the same turn.
- SPELLWEAVER: you are immune to Forget Spell.
- WITCH DOCTOR: cursed Characters must only pass through determined places; you change Spirits every 7 points and not every 10.
- BARRIER: it stays until a Character dispell it by losing a turn in an adiacent space.
- DESTROY MAGIC: you may cast it whenever you want and you are unaffected.
- DISPLACEMENT: it allows you to move a card even to an occupied space (even by you, in such case you may encounter that card).
- DIVINATION: you may cast it before drawing Adventure Cards, it allows you to choose which one to keep.
- FINGER OF DEATH: it may be cast without fight; it cannot be cast at the end of a combat; it can be evaded even if it's your turn.
- FIREBALL: add caster's Craft to its Strenght.
- GUST OF WIND: objects will be lost with 5 or 6 and not only with 6.
- HEX: it stays until anyone loses a Life for it.
- LUCK: it doesn't work on die roll for the choice of final.
- MAGIC SHELL: you may cast it whenever you want.
- MISFORTUNE: it doesn't work on die roll for the choice of final.
- RANDOM: roll the die who suffers the Spell.
- SPEED: you may move until double result of die roll. You may cast it after you see die roll for the movement.
- SPELL CALL: you cannot redraw Barrier Spell.
- SUMMON STORM: it works also on Animal Followers (ex. Minstrel, Staff of Mastery).
When you reach Crown of Command square roll 1D8 die to see what final you have to face:
Besides there are other two type of possible finals:
- HORRIBLE BLACK VOID: you die.
- DRAGON KING: roll a die:
- lose one Follower and go back to Plain of Peril; if you haven't any Follower you lose 1 Life.
- You must fight against 3 Dragons of Strength 12 all in the same turn. If you lose go back to Plain of Peril.
- You must fight the Dragon King himself. He has Strength 12, Craft 12 and 5 Lives. The combat takes place in one turn and you cannot escape. Fight for your life!
- The Dragon King attacks other Characters and regenerates his Lives between one combat and another.
- You must roll 2 dices under your Craft to assassinate the sleeping Dragon King. If you fail lose one Follower (if you haven't lose 1 Life) and go back to Plain of Peril.
- The Dragon King is out and you may reclaim his treasure. You win the game!
- DEMON LORD: the terrible lord of the demons has Craft 10 and 4 Lives. You may escape during the combat and go to Plain of Peril (the Demon Lord regenerates his Lives). After he's drawn, all player may change Spirits to gain Craft.
- BELT OF HERCULES: you don't encounter spaces you land on; you cannot be evaded; after killing another Character, you reintegrate your Lives to 5 if you use Belt Strenght of 14, to 4 if you use your Strenght; you may choose every combat which option you prefer.
- CROWN OF COMMAND: This Crown is forged from one single sapphire. This artifact may aid you to defeat your enemies: once wore, you may indicate one Character and the roll a die to see what effect has the crown upon the victim (repeat this for all Characters):
After seeing effects upon all other Characters, the Crown of Command disintegrates and its owner is sent back to his starting place; from now, nobody can heal in any way; every player in combat with another Character, if victorious, must take 1 Life; the last survivor wins the game.
- Instant Death.
- He/she loses all gained Craft and Strenght.
- He/she loses all Gold, Objects and Followers.
- He/she must fight to the death against a duplicate, without experience bonus and in a single turn. No protection are allowed.
- He/she loses 2 Lives.
- Nothing happens.
- PANDORA'S BOX: Demons with Craft equal to opener's come out of Pandora's Box and fight all other Characters to the death in a single round battle; each winning Demon eliminate definitively his opponent; if all Demons win, the opener wins the game. If a Demon loses his battle, box opener is sent back to his starting place and gains 2 points of Craft; loser Demons go back to Crown of Command space; who defeats all of them (one per time) in 1 turn without losing even one combat wins the game.
- NIGHT OF THE EYE: reshuffle the Spell Deck. All Characters can hold and regenerate 3 Spells. The Spell limit of Craft 7 of some Spells doesn't count anymore. Who draw the Final goes to Plain of Peril. When the Spell Deck is exhausted all Characters start to suffer Command Spell (while regeneration continues). The last survivor wins the game.
- OVERKILL: you take possession of the enormous magic that impregnate this place and instantly disintegrate all other Characters. Now you are the God of this world...
- LORD OF THE PIT: if someone kills a Spirit while Astral Conjunction is in play and doesn't obtain 5 or 6 with a die roll, in the space where the Spirit has been defeated appears the terrible Lord of the Pit. You must apply the rules of Demon Lord final. Whoever lands on Lord of the Pit space may only face him.
- ANCIENT LORD: if all Ancients are killed by the Characters, in the space where the last Ancient has been killed appears the Ancient Lord. You must apply normal rules of combat against Ancients. Whoever lands on Ancient Lord space may only face him.
- ALCHEMIST: only at the beginning or at the end of the turn.
- BERSERKER: each combat he wins, he adds 1 to his Strenght.
- CAVE TROLL: it regenerates with 5 or 6.
- DEMIGOD: you may choose only between first 5 Spells which must be put back to the pile in the order they had; then the pile must not be shuffled.
- DOPPELGANGER: it gives you 1 Strenght maximum if defeated and converted.
- ELECTRICAL STORM: it affectes only who holds any weapon or protection, except Bow and Arrows.
- FOOL'S GOLD: you hold the card; you may try to make an offer up to the number of Bags of Gold you had when you draw it: 1-2) discovered and you lose 1 Life, 3-6) success.
- GNOME: counts only the part concerning Portal of Power.
- HARPY: if victorious she remains where she fought.
- MARKET DAY: each Character may also buy from where he is one or more of the following Objects: Sword (1), Mule (2), Water Bottle (1), Helm (1), Shield (2), Raft (2).
- MERCENARY: his limit of use per turn doesn't count.
- PRINCE & PRINCESS: if taken togheter to the Castle, they allows you to become King's Champion.
- RUNESWORD: you cannot gain extra Lives fighting against other Characters.
- STAFF OF MASTERY: if you lose it, an eventual enslaved Follower stays as "useless" Follower.
- WARHORSE: it gives you a bonus equal than your Craft divided by 3 rounded to the nearest value.
- ZOMBIE BAND: you fight them all in one turn.
- ABYSS CREATURE & WEREWOLF DEN: erase them, go directly to Valley of Fire.
- CHAPEL: it allows you yo heal free only 1 Live at a time.
- MYSTIC (Village): 1) Teleported to a random space; 2) Lose 1 turn; 3-4) Nothing; 5) Gain 1 Craft; 6) Gain 1 Spell.
Generally places where is written to roll a die (ex. Forest, Crags) must be visited after you encounter Enemies, Strangers or else laying over there.
City and Village
Dungeon and City, Talisman expansions even of the board and not only of Adventure Card and Spell pile, are good ideas, but very uncomfortable to use, in fact if you want to play with all boards and expansions you must have a table 10 square metres large!!!! So I have eliminated extra boards, introducing new ways to draw Dungeon and City cards.
You may draw Dungeon Cards only when Dungeon Doorways (cards of Adventure pile) will be introduced. City new rules are more complicated: City Cards can be drawn to the City and to the Village. If you arrives there, you may:
Once terminated, City pile won't be shuffled again; only drawn cards and standard locations will remain available.
- visit standard locations of the board.
- if there are already drawn cards, you may encounter one of them.
- if drawn cards are less than 4, you may draw another.
- you must encounter any Enemy, Stranger or Event indicated (if you win you may do one a first 3 points action).
- you may encounter another Character present in the space.
Every reference to the Royal Castle must be referred to Middle Region Castle.
Every reference to City boards locations must be referred to City square on main board.
Changes to obtain Character expansions:
To obtain BREED OF THE ANCIENTS expansion you must lose in combat with any Ancient. Roll 1D8, on a roll of 1 you are infected by Ancient disease (take breed card as a reminder). Continue playing as normal but, when you die, instead of drawing another Character, become the orrendous Breed of the Ancients! Go back to 4 Lives, lose 3 point of Strength and Craft (but not below Breed starting values), retain all Object, Gold, Spells and Followers and take the Breed expansion card. When one Character is infected or become Breed stop rolling the die for infection.
Here is Breed of the Ancients card:
To obtain SENESCHALC expansion you must solve royal family murder riddle (Adventure Card). If you carry out the inquiry roll 1D4 die to find out motive and guilty of the crime:
You have to be on the same square of the guilty to take him as Follower; you obtain Seneschalc expansion by taking the Guilty to City or Castle.
- WAR: you have to find out an Ogre or an Hobgoblin.
- THEFT: you have to find out Thief or Master Thief.
- PASSION: you have to find out Entraineuse or Elven Girl.
- BETRAYAL: you have to find Prince or Corrupted Sheriff
Here is Seneschalc card:
To obtain HIGH PRIEST expansion you must obtain 11-12 on the Altar (Adventure Card). Here is High Priest card:
To obtain HIGH MAGE expansion you must have at least Craft 4; go to Mage Tomb and seek out previous High Mage familiar. Give him 2 Magic Objects (discard them), lose 2 turns to study and then submit to its judge (roll a die):
To obtain SHERIFF expansion you must defeat the Corrupted Sheriff or satify Royal Decree (Adventure Card).
1 - Failure: you become a toad for 3 turns.
2 - Failure: you lose 1 Craft.
3 - Failure: nothing happens.
4 - Lose other 2 turns and reroll the die.
5 - Success: you are the new High Mage!
6 - Success: you are the new High Mage and you can add 1 to your Craft!
Changes to Character expansions:
Changes to City Cards:
- HIGH MAGE
- You cannot use neither any shield.
- KING'S CHAMPION
- point 3): even in the City.
- point 6): eliminate it.
- point 8): "defeat" = "encounter".
- MASTER THIEF
- points 2), 3), 5) and 9): eliminate them.
- point 7) you won't be imprisoned.
- If you are defeated in a combat by a Good Character you hold your charge.
- points 3) and 5): eliminate them.
- point 2) else in the City.
- point 7) to the Village.
- AIR ELEMENTAL: it teleports you to a random space of Outer or Middle Region.
- BAKER / DOUGHNUTS: they cost only 1 Gold each.
- BEGGAR: you gain King's Champion charge with 5 or 6.
- BRAVO: he must be encountered obligatorily and he doesn't count for experience. If you haven't Gold, the Bravo takes 1 Object, if you haven't any Object he takes 1 Life.
- CORRUPTED SHERIFF: if you win, you may become Sheriff; if you lose he takes you 1 Life and runs away with all your Gold.
- EARTH ELEMENTAL: if Dungeon Doorway is on the board, you reappear on it, otherwise as Air Elemental.
- GREMLIN: each object you lose is teleported to a random space of Outer or Middle Region.
- GRUMPY WIZARD: 1 = Tavern.
- FESTIVAL: each Character in the City/Village must go to a contigous space.
- HERETIC PRIEST: he must be discarded after first encounter.
- MASTER THIEF: he has Strenght of 6 and he steals to you 2 random Obejcts before fighting. You will regain them only if you win. If he wins or draws, he disappear into the night (discard him).
- MUMMY: you must visit the opposite location (City or Village). If it infects someone it must be removed. After you have heal yourself, you reintegrate all your Strenght.
- PASSAGE: it's a secret passage to the Castle; it can be used only by who draws it; if he dies the passage must be discarded.
- SALESMAN: he must be encountered obligatorily.
- WATER ELEMENTAL: if you don't have any Follower, you must lose 1 Life.
If you have any ideas for new cards or modifies to those already existent, feel free to send me an e-mail
Back to Talisman Index